Maintenance vehicles

TSC 037 at Allora.

For track work and other maintenance, SDSR currently has the following vehicles (including several trailers):

  • section car TSC 037 (four-man), restored and motor operational
  • section car TSC 538 (two-man), under restoration, motor operational
  • section car TSC 034 (four-man), motor is missing
  • double pumper, restored and operational (donated by Chinchilla Historical Society)

Ballast Wagon No. VTS 777

Built: 1940
Retired: 1980
Weight: 11.5t
Capacity: 6.2 cubic metres
Length: 4.48m
Width: 2.65m
Gauge: 1,065mm gauge (3ft 6in)

Ballast wagon at the Warwick Railway Precinct.

This Ballast wagon was abandoned and found pushed into the scrub at Cobba-da-mana (towards Inglewood) after it had derailed.

The wagon was transferred to it’s present site at Warwick Railway Precinct in 1996.

Water gin/wagon No. GWW 23260

Current status: 100% RESTORED – Mainline Operational
Built: 1955
Capacity: 3750 gallons (17,050 liters)
Weight: (Tare) 15.5t. (Gross) 32.5t.
Length: 9.140m
Width: 1.30m
Gauge: 1,065mm gauge (3ft 6in)

Built by Evan Deakin, Rocklea, Brisbane, this wagon entered service in April 1955 and was used to carry exra water for the Garrett steam locomotives during the era of steam.

Water gin undergoing retoration at the Warwick Railway Precinct.

After steam ended it was used to carry waste oil from diesel locomotives.

The retirement date is unknown, but the wagon was acquired by SDSR and moved to Warwick in 2004.

It is currently in use as part of our tourist train operations to Wallangarra.

Carriage BLH820

Current status: Operational – Leased from QR Heritage
Built: tbc
Retired: n/a
Type: 2nd Class carriage with Lavatory and Hostess Room (30 2nd Class seats)
Weight: 22.6t
Length: 16.200m
Width: 2.665m
Gauge: 1,065mm gauge (3ft 6in)

An inside view of one of the ‘Kuranda Cars’

This carriage is a current operational carriage owned by Qld Rail Heritage. It features a 30 seats, a side isle, hostess compartment, lavatory and end platforms.

Before coming to SDSR, it was part of Qld Rail’s Cairns Kuranda Scenic Rail fleet of carriages. SDSR has been extremely privileged to be able to use this carriage as a regular on it’s heritage services since 2009.

Carriage BLH749

Current status: Operational – Leased from QR Heritage
Built: tbc
Retired: n/a
Type: 2nd Class carriage with Lavatory and Hostess Room (30 2nd Class seats)
Weight: 22.6t
Length: 16.200m
Width: 2.665m
Gauge: 1,065mm gauge (3ft 6in)

An inside view of one of the ‘Kuranda Cars’

This carriage is a current operational carriage owned by Qld Rail Heritage. It features a 30 seats, a side isle, hostess compartment, lavatory and end platforms.

Before coming to SDSR, it was part of Qld Rail’s Cairns Kuranda Scenic Rail fleet of carriages. SDSR has been extremely privileged to be able to use this carriage as a regular on it’s heritage services since 2009.

Carriage BLH574

Current Status: Operational – Leased from QR Heritage
Built: tbc
Retired: n/a
Type: 2nd Class carriage with Lavatory and Hostess Room (30 2nd Class seats)
Weight: 22.6t
Length: 16.200m
Width: 2.665m
Gauge: 1,065mm gauge (3ft 6in)

An inside view of one of the ‘Kuranda Cars’

This carriage is a current operational carriage owned by Qld Rail Heritage. It features a 30 seats, a side isle, lavatory and end platforms.

Before coming to SDSR, it was part of Qld Rail’s Heritage Rail fleet of carriages. A newer edition to the SDSR fleet, this carriage has only been running recently as some works were required to bring the carriage up to operational standard. SDSR has been extremely privileged to be able to use this carriage as a regular on it’s heritage services.

Carriage BLH522

Current Status: Operational – Leased from QR Heritage
Built: tbc
Retired: n/a
Type: 2nd Class carriage with Lavatory (30 2nd Class seats)
Weight: 22.6t
Length: 16.200m
Width: 2.665m
Gauge: 1,065mm gauge (3ft 6in)

An inside view of one of the ‘Kuranda Cars’

This carriage is a current operational carriage owned by Qld Rail Heritage. It features a 27 seats, a side isle, refreshment compartment, lavatory and end platforms.

Before coming to SDSR, it was part of Qld Rail’s Cairns Kuranda Scenic Rail fleet of carriages. SDSR has been extremely privileged to be able to use this carriage as a regular on it’s heritage services since 2009.

Carriage BLV 1076

Current Status: 30% Restored
Built: 1920
Retired: 1988
Type: Composite and Guards Van (17 First class seats + 16 Economy seats)
Weight: 20.4t
Length: 12.215m
Width: 2.620m
Gauge: 1,065 mm gauge (3ft 6in)

Composite and Guards Van BLV 1076 built in 1920, was retired from service in 1988, and moved to a local property in Warwick before being donated to the SDSR in 2000.

This carriage was received in a very poor state and needed a replacement set of bogies. The new bogies under this carriage where taken from carriage AU1259 that has consequently been grounded (ie has no wheels and is sitting on the ground).

BLV 1076 in the workshop at the Warwick Railway Precinct.

BLV 1076 has three sections:

  1. There is a guards compartment, which with dual doors, may allow easy access for Wheel chairs.
  2. The second area was a goods area, but is being reverted to “near original” 2 x 2nd class sitting compartments (with corridor) to toilet,
  3. The last area was 2 x 1st Class Sitting Compartments, with corridor to another toilet.

The first class corridor ran on the drivers side of the train, and 2nd class on firemans, however… we are planning to leave only one toilet, and have the corridor right through to guards compartment.

As with all QR heritage rollingstock (wooden), wheelchair access is difficult with the door to door widths of general carriages. Hence the guards compartment with dual doors will be utilised.

Carriage TCW 23 (originally BL 1040)

Current Status: 75% Restored
Built: 1923
Retired: 1999
Type: Economy Class carriage (48 Economy seats + 6 compartments)
Weight: 25.9t
Length: 15.850m
Width: 2.665m
Gauge: 1,065mm gauge (3ft 6in)

TCW 23 in the Warwick Railway Precinct yard.

Built at Ipswich Workshops and entering service as BL 1040 in November 1923, this carriage was built especially for the Sydney Mail train that ran between Brisbane and Wallangarra.

Other carriages that entered service to form the two Sydney Mail train sets were:

  1. AL 1036, AL 1037, BL 1040, BL 1041, BL 1042, CL 1046 and PARL 1048 – entering service in November 1923.
  2. AL 1038, AL 1039, BL 1043, BL 1044, BL 1045, CL 1047 and PARL 1049 – entering service in December 1923.

Sydney Mail hauled by BB18 1/4 1077, passes the Gorge Tank.

BL 1040 remained in service on the mail train and other services to Wallangarra until the 1970s.

In February 1981 it was converted to TCW 23, which was a Camp Wagon with 6 berths, shower, toilet, gas stove and gas heater for shower, gas and electric lights, hand pump to pump water from a 500 litre water tank underneath the carriage to another tank in the ceiling

It was retired by QR in 1999 and on 6 September 2004 it was purchased from Ipswich Workshops by SDSR.

This carriage is to be restored and turned into a refreshement car with wheelchair access.

Carriage CW 93 (originally BX 489)

Current Status: Static exhibit Amiens Railway Museum Project.
Built: 1909
Retired: 1999
Type: Economy Class carriage (72 Economy seats)
Weight: 32.5t
Length: 15.850m
Width: 2.665m
Gauge: 1,065mm gauge (3ft 6in)

CW 93 in the shed at Warwick Railway Precinct.

This carriage was built in 1909 as BX 489 for use on the Brisbane suburban network. It features a clerestory roof with stained glass windows, a centre isle, and end platforms. During World War II, it was converted to a Hospital Ward car on No. 2 Hospital train and in March 1943 was part of No. 4 Hospital train.

In December 1947 it was rebuilt again as a ‘BL’ type car with toilets and in 1951 it was painted green and toured the state as part of a Travelling Art Gallery.

In March 1967 it was converted for the last time to Camp Wagon CW93 and was placed in railway sidings for Queensland Railway employees to camp in when working away from home.

It was retired from service in April 1999 and was purchased by SDSR from Ipswich Workshops in September 2004. It is currently a static exhibit to the Amiens Railway Museum project that is organising a celebration event.